Do you know how to play a game called “Musical Chairs”? It is easy to play and most people enjoy it. All you need are some chairs, some people and some way of making music. You may use a piano or any other musical instrument, if someone can play it. You may use a tape recorder. You can even use a radio.
Put the chairs in a row. The chairs may be put in twos, back to back. A better way is to have the chairs in one row with each chair facing in the opposite direction to the chair next to it.
The game is easy. When the music starts, the players walk round the chairs. Everyone goes in the same direction, of course, they should walk in time to the music. If the music is fast they should walk quickly. If the music is slow, they should walk slowly.
The person playing music cannot see the people in the game. When the music stops, the players try to sit on the chairs. If a person cannot find a chair to sit on, he drops out. Then, before the music starts again, one chair must be taken away. When the music stops again, one more player will be out.
At last, there will be two players and one chair. The one who sits on the chair when the music stops is the winner.
1. If ten people are playing musical chairs, you must begin with _______.
A. nine chairs B. ten chairs C. eleven chairs D. one chair
2. Which of the following is not suitable for playing musical chairs? _______.
A. A piano B. A radio C. A tape recorder D. A telephone
3. The chairs should be put _______.
A. with the desks B. before the winner C. all over the room D. in a line
4. When the music starts, the players must _______.
A. run about the room B. get down C. walk around the chairs D. sit on the chairs
5. Which of the following statements is NOT true?
A. The game “Musical Chairs” is not difficult to learn.
B. The last one can sit on the last chair.
C. The winner can sit on the chair.
D. If the person plays music, he cannot be the winner.
1. 选A。因为在第4段有这样一句If a person cannot find a chair to sit on, he drops out.那么肯定是椅子比人数少1，这样才会有人没得坐，故选A。
3. 选D。第2段的Put the chairs in a row就是“把椅子排成一排”这意。选D。
4. 选C。由第3段中的句子When the music starts, the players walk round the chairs.可知答案为C。
5. 选B。本题可用排除法，由第1段第2句It is easy to play 可知道A项正确;由最后一句The one who sits on the chair when the music stops is the winner.可知C项是正确的;由第4段的句子The person playing music cannot see the people in the game可知D项也是正确的。故答案选B
“Well, we’re in our new house. Let’s get a new pet to get along with it,” Mrs Brown said to her husband.
“That sounds like a pretty good idea,” he answered. “Do you want to see the ads in the newspaper?”
“Let’s go to the animal shelter. Many pets there need homes. Since tomorrow is Saturday, we can both go,” she said.
Next morning the Browns met Mr Snow at the animal shelter. “We want to be sure that the pets here go to good homes,” Mr Snow said, “So I need to ask you some questions.”
After they talked for a while, the Browns decided to get a small dog. It wouldn’t need a big house or a big yard. A small dog would bark(吠) and warm them if someone tried to break into their house. After Mr Snow gave the Browns a book on pet care, they chose one and wanted to take her home right away. But the animal doctor hadn’t checked her yet. So Mr Snow told them to return on Sunday.
On Sunday afternoon the Browns went to the animal shelter. The animal doctor said, “Shadow has had all of her shots(预防针). She will be healthy.” The browns thanked the doctor and took Shadow home.
1. From the reading we learn that _______.
A. the Browns have never had a pet before.
B. the Browns knew about Shadow from the newspaper.
C. Shadow is a small and healthy dog.
D. Mr Brown didn’t quite agree with his wife.
2. The word shelter in the reading means _______.
A. a place to sell small dogs
B. a place to keep homeless animals
C. a place to study animals
D. a place to sell books on pet care
3. Mr Snow asked the Browns some questions to _______.
A. see if they had moved to a new house
B. find out how rich the Browns were
C. know where they’d keep their new pet
D. make sure they’d take care of pets
4. The Browns thinks that a small dog _______.
A. doesn’t need any room to keep
B. can help them watch their house
C. eats less food than a bigger one
D. usually has a beautiful name
5. It’s clear that _______.
A. Shadow will not be easy to get ill
B. the Browns were not satisfied with Shadow
C. Mr Snow didn’t check Shadow at all
D. Shadow likes barking a lot
1. 选C。文章第5段提到…the Browns decided to get a small dog 以及最后一段动物医生说：Shadow has had all of her shots(预防针). She will be healthy.我们可以知道Shadow是一只健康的小狗。答案选C。
2. 选B。由第3段句子Let’s go to the animal shelter. Many pets there need homes.可知，shelter是a place to keep homeless animals(无家可归的动物们的避难所)。
4. 选B。由第5段的句子A small dog would bark(吠) and warm them if someone tried to break into their house. 我们可知，一只小狗就可以帮他们看家了。故答案选B。
5. 选A。因为Shadow has had all of her shots，它已经打过所有的预防针了，所以Shadow是不会容易得病的。
A famous teacher was speaking to the students at our school. He began his lesson by holding up a ¥100 bill. Then he said to the three hundred students, “Who would like this ¥100 bill?” The students began to put up their hands at once.
Then he said, “I am going to give this ¥100 to one of you, but first, let me do this.” He then made the bill into a ball. Then he said, “Who wants it now?” The hands went back into the air.
“Well,” he said, “What if I do this?” and he dropped it on the floor and stepped on it. He picked up the dirty, crumpled bill and said, “Who still wants it?” Hands went back into the air.
“My friends,” he said, “you have learned a valuable lesson today. No matter (无论) what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not go down in value (价值). It was still worth ¥ l00!”
Many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled, and stepped on by the chances we take and the things that happen to us. We feel as if we are worth nothing. But remember, no matter what has happened to you, you will never lose your value: you are always valuable to those people who love you. Your value doesn’t come from what you do or whom you know, but WHO YOU ARE.
You are special and valuable. Don’t ever forget it!
1. Even though it was dirty, the money _______.
A. still went up in value B. was worth nothing
C. didn’t go down in value D. was still ours
2. We are always valuable to the people _______.
A. who pay us B. who call us C. who hate us D. who love us
3. Your value doesn’t come from what you do but _______.
A. who you know B. who made you C. who you remember D. who you are
4. The sentence “Hands went back into the air” means “_______”.
A. the students put up their hands again
B. the students put down their hands
C. the students put their hands behind their backs again
D. the students put their hands in front of them
5. Why did the famous teacher use a ¥100 bill at his lesson?
A. Because he wanted to make the bill into a ball.
B. Because he used to drop a bill on the floor and stepped on it.
C. Because he was going to give the bill to one of his students.
D. Because he wanted to make the students know what value was.
1. 选C。根据第4段中的No matter what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not go down in value可知答案。
2. 选D。根据第5段中的you are always valuable to those people who love you可知答案。
3. 选D。根据第5段中的Your value doesn’t come from what you do or whom you know, but WHO YOU ARE可知答案。
4. 选A。老师第一次问Who would like this ¥100 bill? 时，同学们的反应是：The students began to put up their hands at once. 老师第二次问Who wants it now? 时， 同学们的反应是：The hands went back into the air. 老师第三次问：Who still wants it? 时，同学们的反应是：Hands went back into the air. 很显然，Hands went back into the air 中的back有类似again的含义，故选A。
“I sometimes get up at three or four in the morning and I surf the net.”
“I often check my e-mail forty times a day.”
“I often spend more than three hours during one time on the net.”
“I spend more time in chat rooms(聊天室) than with my ‘real-1ife’ friends.”
Do you know any people like these? They are part of a new addiction(瘾) called Internet addiction. Internet addicts spend at least thirty to forty hours online every week. The use of the Internet can be an addiction like drug(毒品) use. People lose control(控制) of the time they spend on the Internet
For example, one college student was missing for several days. His friends were worried, and they called the police. The police found the student in the computer lab: he was surfing the net for several days straight.
Studies show that about 6 to 10% of Internet users become addicted. And people worry about the teens because the Internet is changing the playing field for some of them. They spend more time in cyberspace than in the real world of friends and family.
Is “surfing the net” a hobby or an addiction for you? You may have a problem if you have these symptoms(症状):
●You do not go to important family activities or you do not do school work because you like to spend hours on the Internet.
●You can’t wait for your next online time.
●You plan to spend a short time online, but then you spend several hours.
●You go out with your friends less and less.
1. What does the beginning of the passage tell us?
A. How to become an Internet addict. B. What an Internet addict usually does.
C. Where to find an Internet addict. D. Why to write this passage.
2 How does the writer describe the addicts’ use of Internet?
A. It is something like keeping drugs. B. It is a way of producing drugs.
C. It is like taking drugs. D. It is terrible to imagine.
3. Why do people worry about the teens?
A. The teens are wasting too much money.
B. They used to work on the Internet.
C. The playing field of the teens will disappear.
D. More and more of the teens wil1 become addicted to the Internet.
4. The example in the passage shows that _______.
A. Internet problems are more serious among college students
B. Internet addicts usually stay in the computer lab without sleep
C. Some of the Internet users have already been seriously addicted
D. The police often help to find those Internet addicts.
5. What is the writer trying to tell us at the end of the passage?
A. Don’t be addicted to the Internet.
B. Go to family activities more often.
C. Do things as you have planned
D. Stay with your parents as often as possible.
2. 选C。由句子The use of the Internet can be an addiction like during use.可知，人们上网成瘾就跟take drug(吸毒)成瘾一样。
3. 选D。由第3段中的句子…people worry about the teens.及They spend more time in cyberspace than in the real world of friends and family.可知，这是成瘾的症状。故选D。
Nearly all American students in colleges and universities pay for their education. There are many expenses. First of all, there is tuition (学费). At some schools, the tuition is very high, ten thousand dollars a year or more. At other schools, it may only be a few hundred dollars a year. At some community (社区) colleges, tuition is free. There are other expenses as well. Many students leave their homes to go to schools in other cities. They may live in dormitories or apartments ( flats), and they must pay for it. Finally, students must buy textbooks for their courses. Some families start saving money for their children’s education when the children are small. Many students work to save money for tuition. They can also get loans (贷款) from the government. They pay the money back to the government when they finish their education.
1. Which students pay for their education?
_______________ in colleges and universities pay for their education.
2. How much is the higher tuition?
It is _______________ or more.
3. Are there any free tuition colleges?
4.Why do many students live in dormitories or apartments?
5. What must students buy finally?
They must _______________.
6. When do many students pay back their loans from the government?
They pay them back_______________.
Some people want to be shot into space after their death, others want to lie deep under the sea. But most people want to go into the freezer(冷藏库).These are believers in cryogenics(低温冷冻学).
Now some diseases can’t be cured, but they may be cured sometime in the future. So some people hope that their bodies can be frozen after they die. When a cure is found, warm up his or her body, bring it back to life and take the cure. Once the body is frozen, it is kept in liquid nitrogen(液态氮) at a temperature of 328 degrees below zero.
Now around a thousand people are going to take cryogenic treatment(处理), though most scientists say it won’t work. If we freeze huge creatures(生物) like humans, every one of their cells(细胞) will be broken. Can they be brought back to life in the future?
7. Where do most people hope that their bodies are kept after their death?
8. Why do they want the world to keep their bodies well?
9. How do scientists usually keep a dead man’s body?
10. How many people are going to take cryogenic treatment after they die?
A rich man was once riding along the road and saw an old man digging in his garden. On the ground lay a young tree, ready to be planted. The rich man called out to the old man, “What kind of tree are you planting there, my good man?”
“This is a fig(无花果) tree, sir. ” He said.
“A fig tree?” the rich man was very surprised, “Why, how old are you, may I ask?”
“I am ninety years old.”
“What!” cried the rich man, “You’re ninety years old. You are planting a very young tree now and it’ll take years to give fruit. You certainly don’t hope to live long enough to get any fruit from this tree. ” The old man looked around the garden. Then he said with a smile, “Tell me, sir. Did you eat figs when you were a boy? ”“Sure,” the man did not know why he asked this question. “Then tell me this,” he said, “Who planted the fig trees?” “Why-why? I don’t know.” “You see, sir.” went on the old man,“Our forefathers(祖先) planted trees for us to enjoy and I am doing the same for the people after me.”
The rich man was quiet and said, “You are right，my good man. We should do some things for the people after us. Thank you very much.” Then he rode away.
11.What tree was the old man planting when the rich man saw him?
12. How old was the old man?
13. The old man was planting the tree to get himself some fruit to eat，wasn’t he? Who was he planting the tree for?
14. Did the rich man eat figs when he was a boy?
15. What should we do for the people after us?
In general，laws for children are a good thing.
One hundred years ago in industrial countries, children worked 18 hours a day in a factory at age seven. The factory owner could beat a child who fell asleep or was not fast enough. Both parents and teachers could do the same.
Today, there are many laws about children all over the world. Some people think children must obey rules or they should be punished，others do not agree. The Inuits or Eskimos in Alaska almost never punish their children. The parents don’t hit them. If the children go too far，the parents punish them by making fun of them.
Children in other parts of the world are not as lucky as Eskimo children. American parents can spank(打……臀部) their children at home，but a teacher cannot hit a child in a public school. This is also true in Germany. In contrast(对比), it is against the law for anyone to hit a child in Sweden. Swedish parents cannot spank their children. The children also have a special government official who works for their rights. There is even a plan for children to divorce from their parents though this is not a law yet!
16. How were children treated in industrial countries 100years ago?
17. What does the author mean by “go too far?”
18. Can a teacher in Germany hit his students in public school?
19. What kind of people can beat children in Sweden?
20. What does it mean by “a plan for children to divorce from their parents?”
Sydney is a young city. Its history goes back just over 200 years. But in Australia, it is the oldest city. It is also the country’s largest city. Sydney is the capital of New South Wales and the most populous(人口稠密的) city of Australia.
The climate(气候) of Sydney is very good. It’s not too cold during the winter and not too hot during the summer. The sky is blue，the air is fresh(清新的), birds sing in the garden. People who live in Sydney seem to have an easy life style. They will tell you, “Don’t worry. ”
Many people think that Sydney is one of the most attractive cities in the world. It has many tall and modern buildings. Among them, Centrepoint Tower is the tallest. Standing on the 305--metre(80 storeys) tower, you will have a great view(视野) of the city.
Sydney is famous for its deep harbor(港口) .The harbor has many bays(湾) and beautiful surf beaches. Among them, Bondi beach is the most popular. Sydney Harbor is not only beautiful, it also serves as a large port. Ships carry wool, wheat and meat from Sydney to other countries.
People living in Sydney like to call themselves Sydneysiders. They are mostly friendly and easygoing. When they are not working, they love to have a good time at the beach, swimming and sailing.
21. How old is Sydney?
22. How is the climate of Sydney?
23. How tall is Centrepoint Tower?
24. What is Sydney famous for?
25. What do people living in Sydney love to do when they are not working?
1. Nearly all American students
2. ten thousand dollars a year
3. Yes, there are some
4. study in other cities / leave their homes to study / study away from their homes / don’t study near their homes
5. buy textbooks for their courses
6. when they finish their education
7. In the freezer.
8. They hope that they can come back to life one day.
9. They usually keep it in liquid nitrogen at a temperature of 328 degrees below zero.
10. Around 1.000 people.
11.He was planting a fig tree.
12. He was ninety years old.
13. No, he wasn’t. He was planting the tree for the people after him .
14. Yes, he did.
15. We should do some good things for the people after us.
16. They were treated very badly.
17. Do something too much.
18. No, he can’t.
19. None can do that.
20. A plan for ending the children’s relationship with their parents.
21. It’s just over 200 years old.
22. It’s not too cold during the winter and not too hot during the summer. It’s very good.
23. It’s 305 meters tall.
24. Sydney is famous for its deep harbor.
25. They love to go swimming and sailing.