1. 【解析】fool (1) n. 傻子 呆子 (2) v. 愚弄 欺骗 →foolish adj. 愚蠢的
on April Fool’s Day 愚人节 make a fool of sb. 愚弄某人
He is a fool. 他是一个呆子。(名词)
We can’t fool our teach. 我们不能欺骗我们的教师。(动词)
①What do you do on April_________(Fool) Day?
②I was _________(fool) enough to believe what he told me.
2. 【解析】embarrass v 使尴尬→embarrassed adj. 尴尬的(用来修饰人)(1a)
→embarrassing adj. 令人难堪的((修饰物)
①I was _______________(embarrass) when the boy asked me the question.
( ) ②She was ____when they kept telling her how clever she was.
A. embarrass B. embarrassed C. embarrassing
【2011湖北•武汉】 40. - I wore sports shoes to the ball yesterday evening by mistake!
- Oh, dear, you must be very _____ at the ball!
A. embarrassed B. satisfied C. tired D. Surprised
3. Last Friday night, my friend invited me to his birthday party (1b)
【解析】invite v → invitation n邀请 invite sb. to do sth 邀请某人做某事
【2014吉林】27. Let’s call up Jim and invite ______to play football.
A. he B. him C. his
(2)invite sb. to +地点 邀请某人去某地
①We invited him _______(join) us to practice speaking English.
②He invited a lot of friends _________(come) to his birthday party.
( )③I’d invite her ________ dinner at my house tomorrow.
A. have B. to have C. having D. had
( ) She was very pleased because we invited ____ to stay with us at ___ house.
A. she; we B.her; our C. her; ours D. hers; us
【2014黄冈】—Claudia, are you going to Jeff’s birthday party on Saturday? —Unless I______ .
A. will be invited B. am invited C. was inviting D. invited
【2014威海4】—Tom! I looked for you everywhere at the party last night. —Oh, I _______ to the party.
A. am invited B. was invited C. am not invited D. wasn’t invited
4.the other kids showed up (1d)
【解析】show up 出席 【短语】：on show =on display 展览
show off 炫耀 show sb. around 带某人参观
show sb. sth=show sth to sb 向某人展示某物
( )①Why didn’t you show ___at the meeting yesterday? We kept waiting for a long time.
A. up B. around C. off D. on
( ) ②He didn’t show _______ until the meeting was over.
A. on B. out C. in D. up
【2013湖北宜昌】33. —It’s everyone’s duty to join the Clean Your Plate Campaign.
—Sure. We should try to _______ all the food that we’ve ordered.
A. give up B. eat up C. turn up D. show up
【2014湖北武汉】38. I used to _______ with my wife and watch TV movies at home.
A. show up B. wake up C. come up D. stay up
5. April Fool’s Day is a celebration that takes place in different countries around the world.
【解析】take place “发生;进行;举行;产生”。
【辨析】：happen 与take place
happen 常指具体的事物的发生，特别指那些偶然的“发生”。不及物动词，没有被动语态sth happen to sb 意为“ 某人发生某事”。
happen to do sth 意为‘‘碰巧做某事’’。
take place 1“发生”, 也无被动语态，指经过安排或计划地发生。
2“举行”The sports meeting will take place in our school
1. When will the basketball match between Class 3 and Class 4 _____?
2. I ____ to have read the article when he asked me about it.
3. When will the ceremony _____?
4. That accident _____ at the corner.
12. The 18th Jiangsu Provincial Games will __ in September. Many students want to be volunteers.
A. take place B. take part C. take action D. take care
【2014四川泸州】7. Can you tell me what happened him just now?
A. with B. for C. to D. at
【2014山东菏泽】Look, so many people are running out of the station. I wonder what ____.
A. is happened B.was happening C.is happening D. had happened
6. It happens on April 1st every year and is a day when many people play all kinds of tricks and jokes on each other.
【解析】play tricks on sb. “捉弄某人”， play jokes on sb.“对某人开玩笑 ”
( ) It's impolite to laugh at, stare at or play _____on disabled people
A. fun B. jokes C. tricks D. parts
【连接】laugh at 嘲笑make fun of 取笑;使……开玩笑
7. Many people ran to their local supermarkets to buy buy as much as spaghetti as they could.
【解析】as +形容词/副词的原级+ as sb. can / could 意为“尽可能地……”，在句中作状语。
as +形容词/副词的原级+ as sb. can / could = as + 形容词/副词原级+ as possible.
We must do everything as possible. = We must do everything as well as we can.
1). 我已经把书尽可能多地给你送来了。I have sent you ___ ____ ____ ____ ____.
2). 这只猫想要尽快吃掉这些食物。 The cat wants to eat out the food __ __ __ __
8. By the time people realized that the story was a hoax, all of the spaghetti across the country had been sold out
【解析】sell out 卖光 (用物作主语时，常用于被动语态 be sold out)